PHCC Academy of San Diego Training Programs
The PHCC Academy of San Diego currently offers trade certification programs for the Plumbing-Heating-Cooling Industry, including Journeyman Plumbing Apprenticeship and HVAC Technician Certification. We also provide regular UPC Update classes and other industry-specific courses throughout the year.
OPEN ENROLLMENT IS HERE!
We are currently accepting applications for the 2017-2018 school year until August 28th, 2017.
Please review the Entrance Exam Schedule at the bottom of this page.
Journeyman Plumbing Apprenticeship Program
Begins Week of August 28th 2017
Classes run through mid-summer 2018
One night per week always from 5:30pm-9:30pm
Year 1 - Tuesdays
Year 2 - Mondays
Year 3 - Mondays (Class #A) and Wednesdays (Class #B)
Year 4 - Thursdays
PHCC Academy of San Diego
9920 Scripps Lake Dr #102, San Diego, CA 92131
The Journeyman Plumbing Apprenticeship Program is a four-year program approved by the Office of Apprenticeship, Department of Labor. Licensed contractors are able to Federally register their employees as apprentices, while they are enrolled in our training program. We provide 156 hours of hands-on labs and classroom instruction over the full four-years. Curriculum include safety, state and local code and regulations, mathematics, drafting and blueprint reading. This Program gives technicians a thorough knowledge of all aspects of the plumbing trade. By the end of their fourth year, Apprentices will have clocked 8000 hours of on-the-job training, more than 600 hours of classroom and hands-on learning, and are given the chance to take the California PHCC Journey Level Certification Exam to ultimately earn their well-deserved PHCC Journeyman Card.
- Journeyman Plumbing Year 1 - Introduction to the plumbing trade, history and careers, common plumbing tools and materials, tool safety, trade mathematics, related sciences, introduction to blue print reading and sketching, fixture and fitting identification. Introduction to basic plumbing codes requirements, occupation safety practices and procedures, first aid, customer service and installation practices.
- Journeyman Plumbing Year 2 - Service and Repair problems and solutions, basic electricity and applications, residential and commercial fixtures installation, local UPC code applications, water, waste, gas, systems, job safety, review of customer relations, math, hands-on applications of commercial, residential, industrial and new construction. Introduction to welding, ladders and scaffolds, plumbing vents and sewage pumps.
- Journeyman Plumbing Year 3 - Isometric drawing, plan reading, sizing water, sizing gas, and sizing waste and vent. Installation practices both commercial and residential, tool use and methods, water heaters and venting blueprint and specifications, job pre-planning, productivity and profitability.
- Journeyman Plumbing Year 3 - IAPMO Uniform Plumbing Code, California Code, plumbing heating systems, handicap requirements, earthquake valve and seismic requirements, plumbing curriculum review, Journey-Level exam.
HVAC Technician Certification
Schedule Posted Soon!
PHCC Academy of San Diego
9920 Scripps Lake Dr #102, San Diego, CA 92131
This two-year program offer a chance for service technicians to become EPA608 certified, and upon completion of the program the ability to take and pass the NATE ICE certification exam, and ultimately become a NATE Certified Professional. The course is designed to provide a working knowledge of the latest tools, equipment and technologies. It provides superior hands-on information needed to successfully maintain and troubleshoot today's complex heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration systems. The program fosters a solid foundation and understanding of environmental problems and their solutions, and displays a depth of theory, diagnostics, and repair procedures.
- HVAC Year 1 - Introduction to systems and major components, basic electricity, thermodynamics, basic refrigeration cycle, scheduled maintenance, systemic problem solving, basic installation and repair methods, compressors, refrigerants and lubrication, condensers, metering devices, refrigeration accessories, evaporators, evacuation and charging procedures. Students can receive a Universal EPA 608 Refrigerant Certification by taking this course.
- HVAC Year 2 - Heating, electrical, electrical troubleshooting, introduction to motors, cooling equipment, mechanical troubleshooting, advanced installation techniques, control systems, psychrometrics and basic sizing, servicing and troubleshooting systems, TAB, energy efficient mechanical systems, fluid handling systems, applied electrical problem solving, applied refrigeration system problem solving, troubleshooting with the psychrometric chart, cooling towers and evaporative condenser, commercial air conditioning and refrigeration systems, indoor air quality, energy efficient installations & selling and customer service. ICE Certification.
To enroll in PHCC Academy of San Diego programs, students must:
- Show proof of completing a high school education or equivalent GED program
- Be 18 years of age at time of enrollment
- Pass the Math Entrance exam with a score of 70% or greater *
- Pass the English Entrance exam with a score of 70% or greater
- Attend the Enrollment Interview and be granted acceptance into the program
Additionally, for the Journeyman Plumbing Apprenticeship Program, prospective students must be employed by a licensed plumbing (C-36) contractor prior to enrollment.
A Math Preparation "Brush UP" Class is provided one week prior to posted Entrance Exam Testing Dates.
TUITION AND FEES
Tuition can be paid in full for a 10% discount, or in monthly installments. This is on a per student basis:
- Open Rate: $3,696.00 per year or $369.60 per month
- PHCC Contractor Member: $2,175.00 per year or $217.50 per month
- Students at Large: $3000.00 (for students without a sponsoring company)
- Enrollment Fee: $100 **
- Testing Fee: $50.00 (waived for PHCC members) **
The required books below must be obtained and brought to class each night. Students can purchase books through any source, as long as the book title and edition match the descriptions below:
- 2015 Uniform Plumbing Code Book (illustrated or non-illustrated)
- NCCER Core Curriculum Training Guide (Year 1 only)
- NCCER Core Curriculum Level 1, 2, 3, 4 Training Guide (pertaining to the year you are enrolled in)
Holiday Schedule 2017-2018 (coming soon)
PHCC Academy of San Diego FAQs - coming soon!
To Apply for Academy Training Programs
We are currently accepting applications for the 2017-2018 school year.
ENTRANCE EXAM TESTING DATES:
Wednesday August 9th OR Thursday August 10th
5:30pm - 8:00pm
Late Entrance Exam Testing Date - TBD
Bring your completed application and the testing fee of $50
(fee waived for PHCC Contractor Member Companies)
Your application package must be returned to the PHCC Academy of San Diego office during Open Enrollment, and must contain the following:
- Signed application with all portions completed
- $50 Testing Fee (waived for PHCC members)
- No less than first month's tuition (10% discount applies for full tuition payment) *
- $100 Enrollment Fee *
* First month of tuition + enrollment fee must be paid no later than the first night of school.