Plumbing Journeyman Four-Year Apprenticeship Program
The PHCC Academy of San Diego’s Journeyman Plumbing Apprenticeship Program is federally accredited by the U.S. Department of Labor Office of Apprenticeship. Students are federally-registered apprentices. This four-year program required 156 hours of classroom instruction per year plus required students to achieve 2000 hours of On-the-Job training per year. By the end of the fourth year, students will have clocked at least 8,000 hours of on-the-job training and more than 600 hours of classroom and hands-on learning. Students must be employed by an actively licensed plumbing (C-36) contractor for the duration of the program.
As the Year 4 Final Exam, students are given the opportunity to take and pass the California PHCC Journey-Level Certification Exam, to ultimately earn their well-deserved PHCC Journeyman Card. OSHA-10 Certification Earned.
Journeyman Plumbing Year Curriculum Breakdown:
- Year 1 – Introduction to the plumbing trade (including history and career options); plumbing safety practices and procedures; common plumbing tools and materials; plumbing math and drawings; fittings with plastic pipe, copper tube, cast-iron, and steel pipe; basic plumbing code requirements; customer service; plumbing fixtures; and introduction to drain, waste, vent and water distribution systems.
- Year 2 – Service & Repair problems and solutions; residential and commercial installation of roof, floor, area drains, DWV piping, water supply piping, fixtures, valves and water heaters; job safety; plumbing math; local Code applications; reading commercial drawings; and introduction to welding, basic electricity, fuel gas and fuel oil systems.
- Year 3 – Applied math; isometric drawing; plan reading; residential and commercial installation practices; sizing water supply piping; potable water treatment; backflow preventers; types of venting; sizing DWV and storm systems; sewage pumps and sump pumps; corrosive-resistant water piping; compressed air; and job pre-planning, productivity, and profitability.
- Year 4 – Business principles; fundamentals of crew leadership; water pressure booster; special waste; hydronic and solar heating systems; ADA-compliance requirements; earthquake valve and seismic requirements; introduction to plumbing systems in swimming pools, hot tubs and mobile homes; introduction to medical gas and vacuum systems used in healthcare facilities; IAPMO Universal Plumbing Code; California Plumbing Code; Journey-Level Certification Exam.
2021-2022 SCHOOL YEAR ENROLLMENT
Course Dates: September 2021 – June 2022
- Open Enrollment Begins – July 15, 2021
- Entrance Exams – In-Person and by appointment
- July thru August 2021
- $50 fee (waived for PHCC member companies)
- Classes Begin August 30, 2021
- Open Enrollment Closes – August 20th, 2021
- All classes begin promptly at 5:30 pm
- Class Schedule as Follows:
- Plumbing Apprentice Year 1: Tuesdays
- Plumbing Apprentice Year 2: Wednesdays
- Plumbing Apprentice Year 3: Thursdays
- Plumbing Apprentice Year 4: Mondays or Thursdays
*Some classes may require pre-scheduled Saturday curricular activities. Students will be notified of these Saturday classes at least 30 days in advance.
2021-2022 Tuition and Fees
Tuition can be paid in full for a 10% discount, in (2) semester installments for a 5% discount, or in monthly installments. **
Plumbing Apprenticeship Tuition Per Student / Per Year
- Open Rate: $4,000.00 per year
- PHCC Contractor Member: $2,475.00 per year
- Student Rate: $3,300.00 per year (students paying on their own)
- Entrance Exam Fee: $50.00 (waived for PHCC members)
- Advanced Placement Testing Fee applies. Inquire with PHCC Academy staff if interested in testing-in to Year 2 of the program
- VA eligible training program. GI Bill benefits accepted.
Following required books must be obtained and brought to each class session. Books can be purchased through any source, ensuring book title and edition match descriptions below:
- NCCER Plumbing Curriculum (pertaining to the year you are enrolled in)
COURSE RESOURCES & INFORMATION
Academy Sponsorship Resource: PHCC Apprenticeship Standards 2008-2017
For Information on our Plumbing Journeyman Four-Year Apprenticeship Program – Click Here